Neck pain can feel like any of the following:
- Stiff neck that makes turning the head difficult
- Sharp or stabbing pain in one spot
- Soreness or tenderness in a general area
- Pain that radiates down into the shoulders, arms, or fingers; or radiates up into the head.
In some cases, other symptoms associated with the neck pain are even more problematic, such as:
- Tingling, numbness, or weakness that radiates into the shoulder, arms, or fingers
- Trouble with gripping or lifting objects
- Problems with walking, balance, or coordination
There are many possible causes of neck pain, and there are multiple chiropractic techniques available. Manual adjustment is one technique that may relieve the pressure causing the pain. After locating the misaligned vertebrae in the neck, gentle pressure is manually applied to reposition the vertebrae. These adjustments can help restore alignment, improve mobility, and relieve pain and stiffness.
Other types of treatment that may also be recommended for relief of neck pain may include:
- ice packs
- stretching and strengthening exercises.